Why Buy a 2016 Lexus RX?Buying Guide Advice Prices
To familiarize potential buyers with this fully redesigned model, we provide an overview of the new elements that enable this crossover to retain its position as the most popular car in this brand.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2016 Lexus RX – The Pros
1. New Design
An aluminum hood and tailgate imbue the 2016 RX with a lighter-weight aesthetic that adds to its more contemporary style. Additional features include the following:
- A more massive rendition of the classic Lexus grille, offering a masculine appeal
- Front fender flares that add to this vehicle’s modern lines
- Creases and cuts throughout the body of the car, giving it a more aerodynamic appearance
2. New Transmission
Supplementing last year’s 6-speed transmission is a new 8-speed automatic transmission. It shifts easily and smoothly, offering better fuel economy than its predecessor. On the front-wheel drive model, for instance, it earns as much as 20 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway. This compares with the all-wheel-drive model’s 19 miles per gallon in the city and 26 on the highway.
3. Changes Under the Hood
In addition to offering a more refined version of its predecessor’s 3.5-liter V-6, the standard 2016 Lexus RX also sports these details:
- An upgrade from a very respectable 270 horsepower to 295
- Standard front-wheel drive with all-wheel drive as an option
- Adaptive Variable Suspension, another option, providing enhanced handling of the vehicle
4. Standard Features
The Lexus RX comes with standard features that are considered upgrades by many other makers. Among the many features in this category are these:
- A rear-view camera that assists with parking
- A Bluetooth to provide hands-free use of technology
- A navigation system
- Dual-zone air-conditioning
5. Safety Features
Perhaps the most significant features of the 2016 Lexus RX are those designed to ensure safety. Labeled the Safety System Plus, among its notable elements, are the following:
- A pre-collision system that notes sudden stops and applies automatic brakes
- A lane-departure warning that augments highway driving
- A lane-keep assist, working in conjunction with the lane-departure warning to prevent the vehicle from drifting
- An automatic high-beam system that raises nighttime visibility and also dims the beam when presented with oncoming traffic
- System stability control that detects and decreases loss of traction
- Adaptive cruise control that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop
- A blind spot warning
- A Panoramic View Monitor that provides a more expansive view of the driver’s surroundings
- A rear cross-traffic alert that is particularly helpful when parking
6. Back Seat Upgrades
The roominess of the seating extends to the back seats as well. Providing an exceptionally comfortable ride, the seats offer these design details:
- Greater legroom and knee room, making the 2016 Lexus RX particularly accommodating on longer trips.
- Second-row seating that comes with the option of power folding with a 60/40 split
- Heated rear seats, an option not often available with other makers
- A rear-seat entertainment system
7. Driving Experience
When it comes to driving, the 2016 Lexus RX offers a definite improvement over the 2015 model. Enhancing the driving experience, several newly remodeled features are standouts. Among them are the following:
- Better acceleration than the 2015 model ensures that the 2016 RX reaches highway speed more quickly.
- Upgraded handling facilitates turns as well as parking.
- Extraordinary comfort regarding seating and space
- The feeling of a more secure braking system inserts additional stability into the driving experience.
8. LED Lights
The RX 350 offers the clarity and precision of LED headlights and L-shaped, wraparound LED taillights in addition to its LED fog lights and daytime running lights. Moreover, purchasers of this model have the option of a premium tri-lens light package. Designed with cornering lights and rear turn signals, this light package augments the safety features that are exclusive to this year.
9. Luxurious Details
Underscoring its high-end qualities, the 2016 RX displays several elements that bespeak elegance and refinement. Case in point, the optional Luxury Package is replete with posh details:
- 10-way, power-adjustable front seats are encased in semi-aniline leather.
- Power lower-cushion lengtheners create commodious seating.
- Leather accents throughout the car add to the ambiance of luxury
- The extra width makes these seats the most comfortable in this class of vehicle.
With a nod to fine craftsmanship, the 2016 RX offers consummate reliability. This is reflected in these features:
- J.D. Power ranks the reliability of this vehicle as among the best.
- No safety recalls have ever been issued by the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration for the Lexus RX.
- To further ensure its reliability, this vehicle is equipped with a basic warranty of four years/50,000-miles as well as a six-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Reasons Not to Buy a 2016 Lexus RX – The Cons
1) Inadequate Interior Room
The interior of the 2016 Lexus RX is very spacious and extremely. However, unlike other vehicles in its class, such as the Acura MDX or Infiniti QX60, it lacks a third row. This remains a disadvantage for those the seeking that additional space.
2) Lacks agility
The 2016 Lexus RX certainly has improved handling over the previous year. Its handling is not as smooth and agile as its peers.
3) Limited Cargo Space
Loading cargo into the Lexus RX is simple. The problem is that the amount of available space is quite limited. For those transporting larger amounts of luggage, athletic gear or even groceries, the cargo area may be inadequate.
4) Limited Fuel Efficiency
The fuel efficiency of the 2016 model is an improvement over the previous model. However, it is still the middle of the pack when compared with other vehicles of its class.
5) Cumbersome controls on infotainment system
The multimedia system controls both the navigation systems and the music. While housing all of the technology items in one system may appear convenient, the Remote Touch Interface negates this. Overall the system is difficult to use while driving.
How the 2016 Lexus RX stacks up to the competition
Among its peers, the 2016 Lexus RX compares quite favorably. It offers standard features and even a few options not available on the Acura MDX or Audi Q5. The advantages of purchasing the Lexus RX include the following:
- Optional safety features such as the lane-departure warning mentioned earlier as well as a rear parking aid and blind spot monitor are available solely on the Lexus RX, not on the Acura or the Audi.
- The Lexus RX operates on regular unleaded gas as opposed to the premium gas required by the Acura and the Audi. This difference becomes a decided cost advantage for purchasers of the Lexus RX.
- Regarding comfort, only the Lexus RX offers a cooled driver’s seat. It is also the sole one among these three luxury midsize SUVs to offer heated rear passenger seats. Together, these options raise the opulence level of this vehicle.
While the 2015 model had many excellent features, the 2016 Lexus RX is a significant improvement. Its dynamic design gives its exterior a more elegant and distinctive look. Meanwhile, standard features augment the innate luxury that defines the Lexus brand. The numerous safety features and refinement of its standard features make this vehicle a standout among its competitors.