Why Buy a 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman?Buying Guide Advice Prices
Today’s MINI brand, which is now owned by BMW of Germany has over the years ventured into lots of historic niches, although it also has created a couple of new ones. Among the newest in the brand line is the MINI Paceman Cooper.
The lineup for the 2016 Paceman is scheduled to begin with the entry-level Mini Base and then move upwards to the turbocharged MINI Paceman S. Each of these comes with standard FWD.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman – The Pros
1) Powertrains and Performance
The 2016 Mini Cooper Paceman base version is powered by a 4-cylinder 1.6-liter engine that supplies 121 hp plus well an impressive118 pound-feet of torque. Reviewers have observed that this car is among the most dexterous crossovers available on today’s market.
2) Acceleration and Power
The 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman’s Aisin-sourced automatic operates smoothly both during spirited driving or when you want to engage in mellow cruising.
- Mini says that the Paceman will attain 60 mph in a mere 6.5 seconds.
- The good thing is that the huge performance gains of the 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman almost come with no penalty while you are at the fuel pump.
3) Handling and Braking
Automotive journalists have indicated that the Paceman has strong brakes and sharp handling. The 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman handles curving asphalt road stretches with the same kind of reassuring responsiveness seen in other smaller Mini models.
4) Paceman's Interior/Cabin
Similar to other Mini versions, the Paceman interiors have been described as charming.
- Some auto critics think the interior materials of the Paceman are top-notch.
- The offbeat interior styling of the 2016 Mini Cooper Paceman has many reviewers who find it quite appealing.
5) Interior Features
According to reviewers, the Mini Connected infotainment optional system comes with lots of useful features. The 2016 Mini Paceman’s Connected electronics interface has been described as having lots of functionality.
- iPhone smartphone app
- Integration features like social media access and Internet radio.
6) Seating Arrangements
According to many auto journalists, the high-mounted front seats of the MINI Paceman give the driver an excellent view of the road ahead.
- You get commanding visibility from the high front seats.
- Despite the Paceman's rear seats compact dimensions, they are perfectly able to accommodate average-sized grownups for short commutes.
- Features include heated front seats and leather upholstery.
7) Cargo Capacity
Automotive reviewers have pointed out that the 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman has ample cargo space for luggage, for a couple of passengers and groceries. The Paceman’s cargo area feels sizeable for the day-to-day family hauling with their backpacks, carry out weekend sleepover bags as well as grocery shopping.
8) Recalls and Reliability
As it is still a new model, there is up to date reliability data for the new 2016 Mini Paceman.
- The great thing is that the 2016 MINI has not seen any NHTSA safety related recalls.
- The Mini is covered by limited 50,000-mile 4-year warranty.
9) Safety Equipment
The standard 2016 Mini Cooper Paceman safety equipment includes:
- Antilock disc brakes
- Stability control
- Front passenger knee airbag, side curtain airbags, front-seat side airbags and optional safety equipment across the entire Paceman lineup are Rear Parking Sensors.
The 2016 Cooper Paceman is available in base, John Cooper Works and Cooper S trim levels. The AWD system is standard on JCW and optional on the Cooper S. There is a long options list, including lots of which come standard among the higher trims for the Paceman customization.
Reasons Not to Buy a 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman – The Cons
1) Underpowered Base Engine
Test drivers are of the opinion that the 2016 Paceman's base engine is somewhat underpowered, with most recommending the livelier John Cooper or Cooper S Works models.The weight of the Paceman hurts the car’s sporty aspirations hugely.
2) Stiff Riding
Auto critics note that the Paceman has a stiff ride, and the steering has a feeling of being too heavy as you drive at lower speeds.
- The car’s fairly tight suspension has made the ride to be somewhat bumpy.
- For everyday driving, the 2016 Cooper Paceman steering effort is overly heavy especially in low-speed situations and in parking lots.
3) Average Interior
The interior of the Paceman is pure Mini, coming as it does with all the characteristic elements that have been made famous by the preceding generation lineup.
- However, the downside to this is that the basic and underlying functionality of the car has often left something to be truly desired.
- For example, the interior has been termed by critics as “plasticky”. It comes with lots of hard materials spread all over the cabin to give a distinct feel that is being non-premium.
4) Overloaded Dashboard
The dashboard has tons of tiny switches located on the car’s center stack such that you might not know what they do without having to look down.
In particular critics note:
- The speedometer center-dash will take some time before you get used to it.
- The tachometer is placed atop your steering column.
- The iDrive-esque interface controller is also tiny.
The climate and audio controls are very typical MINI, which means that they've been haphazardly laid out and without glancing down, it could be challenging to operate them.
5) Driving Impressions
When fitted with the 1.6-liter base model's engine, the 2016 Mini Paceman could be somehow underwhelming while on the road. However, even if the strong EPA fuel economy attracts you, you will be better off prefer driving the John Cooper or Cooper S models that are more powerful.
How it stacks up to the competition:
Car experts have compared the 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman with the Scion iA and the Honda Fit.
- Regarding performance, at 8.1 the Mini beats the Honda Fit at 7.9, but comes a bit lower than the 8.2 for the Scion iA.
- An area where the Cooper Paceman beats the two models is that it has Dual Sun/Moon Roof and Power Tilt/Sliding Sunroof features that they lack.
- While the MINI has HID headlights, Fog Lamps, and Rear Parking Aid, both the Scion iA and the Honda Fit lack the features.
- Unlike both the Scion iA and the Honda Fit, the 2016 MINI comes with Satellite Radio and Premium Sound System.
The classic Mini brand, for many years run under the umbrella of the giant British Motor Corporation, its subsidiaries and successors have built a solid reputation on capable, very small, affordable, and, to lots of people, adorable cars.
Similar to all modern versions of the Mini vehicles, the 2016 MINI Cooper Paceman may be configured almost without any real limitations. It can be with countless color shades, contrasting mirror and roof options, several entertainment upgrades, vinyl graphics packages, interior conveniences, all which are available.
This is a small car that has stood the test of time, and the 2016 MINI promises to continue that tradition for the year ahead.