Today, aluminum is quickly gaining popularity with major producers of electric vehicles. It is a vital element in a new electric vehicles type of battery that is deemed to be so green that it partially runs on air!
Besides that, this new aluminum-air battery could greatly extend the electric vehicle range by nearly a thousand miles. Aluminum, which is available widely, contains huge levels of energy (8kWh/kg). What makes it even more attractive is that it can easily be recycled, making it suitable energy systems material.
The Power of Air
Owing to the revolutionary components, the aluminum-air energy systems from Phinergy use the energy that gets released by the reaction between oxygen and aluminum in generating electric power. Phinergy’s proprietary air electrodes are used in transforming the aluminum-air energy systems into energy sources that are reliable, robust, clean and highly effective.
Put simply, the technology:
- Harnesses the chemical reaction between oxygen and aluminum
- The aluminum serves as the anode and the oxygen (together with a solution made of water electrolyte) becomes the cathode, which gets depleted as you drive the vehicle.
- A large surface area of porous electrode captures the needed oxygen.
- A silver-based catalyst is contained in the electrode that stops any unnecessary interaction with the present carbon dioxide.
- To recharge the aluminum-air battery drivers, simply have the aluminum cartridges replaced.
It must however be noted that aluminum-air batteries possess more energy, although their energy release is much more slowly. This makes it impractical to have the aluminum-air battery as a main source of power in the car.
For that, the aluminum-air battery has to work along with a lithium-ion battery through recharging, effectively giving the electric vehicle the capacity of extending their range by a previously unimagined 1,000 miles per each charge!
- Besides extending the electric vehicles range, aluminum-air batteries are even friendlier to the environment.
- These aluminium batteries don’t generate any carbon dioxide; hence leave nil negative carbon footprints.
It is hoped that if additional ongoing tests proceed positively, the aluminum-air battery could help in solving a major hurdle that faces electric car makers today; range anxiety.
For years, metal-air technology has remained at the forefront of ongoing research into energy due to its huge potential. The technological breakthroughs by Phinergy in this sector have made it possible to efficiently tap into this potential for a variety of applications, outperforming standard batteries.
A typical battery is composed of:
- A cathode and an anode in which the cathode’s weight is about 70% of the total battery weight.
- The cathode gets utilized as the holder for a reactant, such as Oxygen, which is needed for releasing the required energy in the anode made if metal (this is usually close to 5% of the battery).
- The end outcome is that the bigger portion of a standard battery’s weight gets utilized poorly.
The metal-air battery by Phinergy comes with an air-electrode that injects oxygen from the surrounding air, rather from the standard cathode. What this means is that the battery is using the needed oxygen from the ambient air, instead of having heavy materials holding down the oxygen inside.
Therefore, metal-air batteries have a huge potential in terms of delivering higher energy capacity but at weights that are lower.
The proprietary air electrodes from Phinergy are turning the dream of metal-air battery into an actuality. The metal-air battery key component is the air-electrode, and is very vital in regard to its performance.
In order to absorb the needed oxygen, the air electrode structure is porous with an extremely large surface area. Besides their durability, the air electrodes from Phinergy exhibit enhanced performance leading to:
- Flexible mechanical structure
- High electrochemical performance
Aluminium which is a widely available resource has high levels of energy (8kWh/kg). In addition, it’s easily recyclable which makes a very appropriate material for usage in energy systems.
Phinergy’s proprietary anode production process leads to enhanced usage of aluminum energy, while at the same time cutting down on unwanted chemical reactions.
- The company in addition uses a superior battery management system to boost the energetic battery utilization.
- The aluminum-air energy systems from Phinergy are more advanced compared to standard batteries when it comes to specific energy and energy density. The systems are loaded mechanically, hence circumventing long charging duration’s.
When it is being employed in an aluminum-air battery, the aluminum substance converts into aluminum hydroxide. This can then get recycled, enabling a sustainable life cycle.
Previously, zinc air car batteries got seriously limited by the air electrodes short lifespan, plus destructive processes like the formation of dendrite between the cathode and anode. This usually led to very early destruction of the battery cell and air electrodes.
The company Phinergy has come up with zinc-air batteries that are electrically rechargeable. These batteries outperform the standard batteries in terms of energy density and specific energy.
Phinergy has in addition developed a zinc anode, which avoids cell damage because it doesn’t suffer from the formation of dendrite. This breakthrough combination of innovations has made it possible for Phinergy to manufacture zinc-air batteries that are electrically rechargeable which are also extremely durable.
Whether its aluminum, solar, converting seawater, or Free Energy (zero-point), it’s clear that there is potential for improvements. For instance, the aluminum-air battery as it is now only a vehicle range extender, not yet the car’s primary battery.
It worth noting that three European automakers have continued to carry out testing and are continuing to doing so in the days ahead, which is a good pointer. We are not yet fully there but we certainly are on the right direction towards a reliable battery that doesn’t really suck.