2016 Chevrolet Sonic Pros vs Cons. Should You Buy?
The Sonic of today is much more attractive, better and safer for buyers. It's doing pretty well and is being sold to a new crop of car buyers whom Chevrolet actually represents. The new 2016 Chevrolet Sonic aims to offer an exotic and daring choice of a car different form the small Japanese cars.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2016 Chevrolet Sonic – The Pros
1) Interior Features
Critics say the 2016 Sonic from Chevrolet has a lovely interior for its class. They note that lots of fresh thinking have been put into the new car for 2016 with useful features that make it attractive and modern.
2) Acceleration and Power
Reviewers observe that the 2016 Chevrolet Sonic’s base engine supplies adequate acceleration, although many would have preferred the turbocharged version.
- This engine gives better fuel economy and is also peppier while you are on the highway.
- Both versions however offer decent performance, although the 1.4-liter turbocharged feels livelier and delivers a useful punch when you are passing or making merging maneuvers.
3) Handling and Braking
Available as both as a hatchback and sedan, the Chevy Sonic offers a cabin that is refined and surprisingly superb driving dynamics.
Most automotive writers point out that the 2016 Chevrolet Sonic offers:
- Sharp, precise steering
- Deft handling
- Composed ride
- Strong brakes.
The ride is stable and smooth, and the suspension is sufficiently nimble to round off corners with great confidence or as you dart through city traffic.
4) Motorcycle Inspired
The Sonic is being marketed by Chevrolet as being “motorcycle inspired.” The whole concept is driven by a 4-wheeled city bike. All aspects of the 2016 Chevrolet Sonic starting with the instrument cluster all the way to the rear tail lamps and the Borla optional exhaust go towards reinforcing that theme. According to reviewers, the Sonic is capable of zipping to 60 mph from 0 in approximately 8 seconds, making it a fun machine to toss around.
5) Balance between Bold and Conservative
Though not as fresh as during the 2012 introduction, the 2016 Chevrolet Sonic remains modern and steers clear of that boxy, bland "econocar" appearance so beloved of lots of small cars.
- It comes out as a nice balance between conservative and the bold, every bit the famed Chevy.
- A horizontally split grille at the front is flanked by headlights that project a sporty look.
6) Infotainment Features
The mid-level 2016 Chevrolet Sonic LT model now has got the Chevrolet MyLink system. Other notable features include:
- 7-inch touchscreen display
- Hands-free connectivity
- Voice recognition and streaming audio
The optional LT Connectivity & Cruise package provides cruise control and a USB port as well.
7) Seating Capacity
The 2016 Chevrolet Sonic is designed to seat 5. Auto writers have reported that the front seats of Sonic can be counted among some of the most comfortable in this class of subcompact cars.
- The same can be said of the spacious rear seat, able to accommodate 6-footers with ease.
- A steering wheel with tilt-telescoping adds to the comfort as you drive.
8) Cargo Handling
The 14-cubic-foot trunk of the Chevy Sonic sedan is among the largest you can get in this car segment. This can be expanded further through split-folding the rear seatbacks.The car has lots of handy storage cubbies like the dual glove box arrangement.
9) Safety Ratings
The 2016 Chevy Sonic safety offerings are impressive for a car of this size and price segment.
- It has earned NHTSA 5-star crash ratings and also passed crash test carried out by the IIHS, making it a Top Safety Pick.
- The IIHS tests include the challenging and newly introduced small frontal overlap test.
10) Warranties, Reliability, and Recalls
Being comparatively new, there is insufficient data on the reliability of the 2016 Chevrolet Sonic. The 2016 Chevy has not had NHTSA safety recalls.
Other specifics include:
- 3-year/36,000-mile full covers warranty
Reasons Not to Buy a 2016 Chevrolet Sonic – The Cons
1) Some Aspects too Economic
A number of critics have noted that the 2016 Sonic’s cabin contains plenty of hard plastics, which though fairly common in such a vehicle class goes to confirm the car's economy focus.
2) Few 2016 Updates
It has been observed by reviewers that the Chevy Sonic returns in 2016 with what can be considered to be mainly cosmetic changes. Perhaps the sole changes seen in 2016 are:
- Three new car colors
- A couple of changes in equipment changes
- The top 2016 Chevrolet SonicLTZ trim level now offers automatic transmission
- The mid-level Sonic LT models now have the standard Chevy MyLink infotainment interface.
3) Rear Seats Legroom
Bringing in an additional pair of grownups to the Sonic’s rear seats will demand some effort and negotiation if you are to get ample legroom at the back.
4) Some Analogue Features
Though it is a 2016 model, a digital speedo and an analog tachometer in a monochrome dashboard display that seems like it was taken off a sport bike are some features.
How It Stacks Up To The Competition:
The 2016 Chevrolet Sonic may be compared against the Scion iA and the Honda Fit 2016 models.
- In all price aspects, the Chevrolet Sonic is cheaper than the two models.
- Critic’s rating stands at 8.6, higher than the Scion iA’s 8.5 but lower than the 9.3 for the Honda Fit.
- Safety rating stands at 9.7, above the Honda’s 9.4, but lower than Scion’s 10.0
- The Sonic beats the other two makes in terms of Fuel Tank Capacity, as it can hold 12.2 gal, against the 11.6 for the Scion and 10.6 for the Fit.
As 2016 rolls on, Chevrolet may perhaps be tipping its production focus towards giant SUVs and mini trucks, but safe at the other tip of the production line lies the flourishing subcompact Sonic. Chevy sales are robust, and the Sonic is doing much better than had been expected by anyone.
The 2016 Chevrolet Sonic is entering the market as an established sales winner in a market segment that is extremely challenging. In either the fully outfitted or the stripped-down basic, the Chevy Sonic has a plenty of appeal to buyers who are out for a subcompact car that has a powerful personality.
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Buying Guide
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Buying Guide
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Buying Guide
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Buying Guide
2016 Chevrolet Impala Buying Guide
2016 Chevrolet Malibu Buying Guide