2017 Ford Explorer Pros vs Cons. Should You Buy?
What’s New for 2017?
For drivers who desire an extra dose of style, they can opt for the new Sport Appearance package. Ford’s new Sync 3 infotainment system is available as well. No other major changes were made to the 2017 Ford Explorer.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2017 Ford Explorer – The Pros
1) Three-Row Seating
Unlike the original Explorer, the 2017 model features three rows of comfortable seats. This provides a big advantage for the drivers who must accommodate for more than five people. An optional, sliding, second-row seat helps to ensure that everyone has the most spacious legroom possible. Even when traveling with a full load of passengers, one will still have plenty of cargo space.
2) Well-Rounded 2.3L EcoBoost Engine
The SUV’s turbocharged four-cylinder engine is both strong and efficient. With a total output of 280 horsepower, as well as 310 pound-feet of torque, it can easily facilitate movement for the 4,500-pound vehicle. You can also take advantage of the engine’s extra fuel economy. Drivers can expect to get upwards of 19 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.
3) Very Exciting Sport Model
If you are looking for a fun-to-drive SUV, the 2017 Explorer Sport deserves some serious consideration. It comes standard with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine, which punches out an astounding 365 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque. A 0-60 time span of 5.9 seconds puts it in an elite group of three-row SUVs. The model’s sport-tuned suspension bolsters its handling as well.
4) Ability to Go Off-Road
When equipped with the optional AWD package, the 2017 Explorer becomes a off-road worthy vehicle. A Terrain Management System allows one to optimize the SUV’s traction for the particular driving environment. Hill Descent Control comes in handy when traveling down an incline. You will also have a solid 7.8 inches of ground clearance.
5) New Sport Appearance Package
Most people consider the new Explorer to be an attractive sports utility vehicle. However, the new Sport Appearance package makes it look even more attractive. A set of 20-inch Magnetic Gray wheels gives the SUV a powerful stance. You will also notice its special grille and exterior trim. This package is a great option for the drivers who desire a customized appearance.
6) Impressive Safety Profile
When evaluated by the federal government, the 2017 Ford Explorer receiving a top standard rating in the most crucial crash tests available. Families will be able to travel with an extra barrier of protection. The SUV also benefits from an above-average braking system. Some of the optional safety technologies include blind-spot monitoring, forward collision warning, and adaptive cruise control.
7) Base Model Is a Good Value
If you do not want to shell out extra money for the SUV’s more luxurious trims, the base 2017 Ford Explorer should keep you happy. The standard LED headlamps perform better than traditional halogen lights. Some of the other standard equipment includes Bluetooth technology, a Sync voice-activated system, and a rear-view camera. Prices start at around $31,600.
8) An Impressive List of High-End Features
Ford now offers some very upscale features on the Explorer. For many drivers, the innovative Sync 3 infotainment system will prove to be a must-have feature. The front-view camera makes parking less of a chore. If you are a big-time music fan, the amplified Sony sound system will provide the necessary thump and bang to optimize one's listening experience. Navigation and ventilated front seats are also provided.
9) Rear-Seat Entertainment System
If you have children, the optional rear-seat entertainment system should pique their interest. They will remain fulfilled on long road trips by providing dual displays, which will prove quite beneficial to parents of more than one child.
10) Relaxed RideThe new Ford Explorer excels at providing a comfortable ride. Although the Sport Model’s suspension is not as plush, it still delivers a very smooth cruise on most highways. Ford also did a good job of insulating the cabin, which helps reduce road noise.
Reasons Not to Buy a 2017 Ford Explorer – The Cons
1) Lacks Room In Its Third Third-Row Seat
Most passengers will fit comfortably in the 2017 Ford Explorer. Nevertheless, full-sized adults will not like riding in the SUV's third-row. Some of today's larger SUVs offer a more spacious third-row seat.
2) Can Become Expensive
If you are seeking all the bells and whistles, the 2017 Ford Explorer's cost will start to balloon. The Ford Explorer Platinum's listed price is $53,200. This is near $22,000 more than the base model. Meanwhile, the high-performance Sport model can cost upwards of $46,000.
3) 3.5L EcoBoost Engine Causes Fuel Economy to Drop
In exchange for the additional performance, drivers will be forced to sacrifice fuel efficiency. The turbocharged six-cylinder engine is rated to deliver 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. The reduced gas mileage may prove to be a concern for the drivers who must commute substantial distances on an everyday basis.
The 2017 Ford Explorer is a legitimate threat to all other SUVs in its class. A versatile trim lineup gives the 2017 Explorer a key advantage over its primary rivals. In contrast to some modern-day crossovers, the Explorer can actually be safely taken off-road. Families will surely benefit from the SUV's impressive impact protection. A 5,000-pound towing capacity sweetens the deal.
• 2017 Ford Escape Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Expedition Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Expedition EL Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Explorer Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford F-150 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford F-250 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford F-350 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford F-450 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Fiesta Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Flex Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Fusion Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Mustang Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Shelby GT-350 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Taurus Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Transit 150 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Transit 250 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Transit 350 Buying Guide
• 2017 Ford Transit Connect Buying Guide
• 2018 Ford Explorer Trim Level Configurations & Comparison
• Why buy a 2014 Ford Explorer? w/ pros vs cons.
• Why buy a 2015 Ford Explorer? w/ pros vs cons.
• Why buy a 2016 Ford Explorer? w/ pros vs cons.