What's new for 2016?
The 2016 Sierra 1500 has drastically improved technology, styling and performance features, including:
- Driving Assistance Programs, including Digital Steering Assist and Lane Keep Assist
- Wireless phone charging
- Remote locking tailgate
- 7-inch infotainment system with IntelliLink audio options
- LED lighting on all models
- Tri-Mode Power Steps
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- New grill design
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2016 GMC Sierra – The Pros
1. A powerful engine provides power for work or play.
A standard 4.3 liter V6 engine, which produces 285 horsepower and 305 pound-feet of torque, provides plentiful power to the base model of the 2016 Sierra 1500. More oomph is available with a 355 horsepower 5.3-liter or 420 horsepower 6.2-liter V8 engine. These engines can tow 11,100 or 12,000 pounds, respectively.
2. An eight-speed automatic transmission with four-wheel drive is available.
Although a six-speed automatic transmission with rear-wheel drive is standard, consumers can opt for a more functional eight-speed automatic transmission with four-wheel drive. Both transmission options are equipped with "cruise grade braking," which is designed to reduce brake wear.
3. The fuel economy is better than many similar-sized trucks.
With an estimated fuel economy of 18/24, the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 has a comparatively good fuel economy. The four-wheel drive model has a slightly lower estimated fuel efficiency of 17/22.
All the engines that are available for the Sierra use direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation to improve fuel efficiency.
4. Superior braking system keeps drivers safe from the unexpected.
The Sierra proved superior in a breaking test conducted by Cars.com. The drivers brought the five leading trucks to 60 miles per hour before slamming on the breaks and measuring the stop distance. When carrying the 1,750-pound load, the 2016 Sierra 1500 stopped 3.3 feet before the second-fastest braking truck.
Additional braking benefits in the 2016 Sierra 1500 include:
- Powertrain Grade Braking
- Trailer Brake Controller integration
- Intelligent Brake Assist
- Hill Descent Control
- 4-wheel disc brakes with DURALIFE brake rotors
5. Precision steering makes the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 easy to drive.
Test drivers report that the 2016 GMC Sierra is very responsive, even when equipped with the four-wheel drive option. With a small turn radius and accurate steering, the Sierra handles more like a car than a hefty truck.
6. An attractive, spacious interior creates a pleasant driving experience.
Large seats provide comfort and plenty of space for the driver and all passengers. The regular cab model seats up to three people, while up to six can be accommodated by the larger models. Lots of leg room is provided for backseat passengers.
The dash and console use high-quality materials and big, easy buttons to create a simple but sophisticated appearance.
Other interior features provided by the 2016 Sierra include:
- Heated and vented seats
- A large center console that can fit a laptop and more
- Heated steering wheel
- Dual-zone climate control
- Locking storage under the bench seats
- Dual-density foam seating
- A Bose speaker system
- Backseat entertainment system
7. Innovative sound-suppression features create a nearly silent ride.
GMC used numerous sound-suppressing features to set the Sierra apart as a uniquely quiet ride. These upgrades include:
- Under-floor insulation
- Triple door seals
- Carpeted wheel wells
- Valved exhaust system
- Hydraulic mounting systems
- Magnetic Ride Control suspension
8. Cargo bed options improve convenience and function.
With three available bed lengths and numerous options, the 2016 Sierra has everything required to be a successful hauler.
- Spray-on bed liner
- Remote locking tailgate
- Eight tie-down hooks, four of which can be moved
- LED lighting
9. The built-in infotainment system is responsive and intuitive.
The IntelliLink infotainment system provides navigation, music and more. It also includes phone-mirroring Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The system is intuitive and easy to use, with large buttons and sensible navigation through the various screens.
10. The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 was built with tech in mind.
With 5 USB ports, AC outlets, a built-in WiFi hotspot, wireless phone charging and more, the Sierra was clearly built for tech. The phone mirroring capabilities of the infotainment system help users navigate the features with familiar Apple or Android screens.
To avoid overpaying on a new car, shop prices online first. Get up front pricing before you walk into a dealership. We recommend the following free services;
These free services will offer you the lowest prices and supply you with multiple competing price quotes. You will know the best price before you visit the dealer.
Reasons Not to Buy a 2016 GMC Sierra – The Cons
1. The backup camera has low resolution.
Test drivers complained that the image was too grainy to be helpful when backing up to a trailer because neither the ball hitch or tongue could be seen.
2. The mirrors are too small.
When towing, the standard mirrors do not offer enough visibility. However, larger mirrors are available on higher trim packages.
3. The quiet cabin doesn't sound tough.
Buyers who like to hear the power of their engine may not enjoy the quiet ride offered by the Sierra. While aftermarket modifications may correct this, other trucks are undoubtedly better suited to noise.
4. Prior Sierras were known for transmission problems.
Previous models of the GMC Sierra have been recalled due to transmission problems. While there are no known defects in the 2016 model, buyers may be skeptical because of GMC's track record.
How it stacks up to the competition:
The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 is a class leader. With extremely effective braking and towing functionality, it is better prepared for tough jobs than the 2016 Ram 1500. The quiet, comfortable interior is more spacious and sophisticated than the 2016 Ford F-150. However, the fact that the GMC Sierra has not been rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may cause buyers to be somewhat hesitant.
The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 is a blend of elegance and efficiency. With a strong, boxy exterior and a stylish interior, the Sierra is a visual delight both inside and out. Of course, the power under the hood is the most compelling draw of this mighty hauler.