Why Buy a 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD?Buying Guide Advice Reviews
In 2015, GMC undertook a redo of the Yukon, giving it a more angular external to give it a boxier, yet more modern look. Also updated was the Yukon interior. For the year 2016, though the changes made on the Yukon are largely small, they are important. For example, the 2016 XL 4WD has added Driver Alert Package, lane-keeping assist as well as automatic high-beam control.
The 2016 Yukon XL is hard to ignore if you are looking for a full-size SUV that is value-packed and capable of towing, and ferrying a large group with lots of cargo - all at the same time
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD – The Pros
1) Powertrain and Performance
The 2016 Yukon XL is certainly a capable workhorse. Reviewers have praised the powerful engines that don’t seem to struggle even when you’ve packed passengers and lots of cargo. Auto critics report that the composed handling and well-tuned suspension make maneuvering simple.
- Test drivers have indicated that the base engine of the 2016 Yukon delivers sufficient acceleration power, even when you have packed it to capacity.
- They have added that the bigger Denali V8 model bring even more muscle as the larger engine boasts more torque and power, yet its remains economic on fuel.
2) Handling and Braking
Beyond the visible cosmetic upgrades, maker GM has done terrific work on the vehicle handling.
- Though these are still sizeable vehicles, they are surprisingly quite easy to drive.
- You are getting a comfortable, luxurious, and well-controlled 4WD that is at home on the twisting mountainous terrain like on the highway.
- The 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD trucks quickly switch to electric power steering in a well-tuned setup.
- Test drivers have reported that the steering and brakes provide decent feedback.
3) Cost Effective
One would be mistaken for assuming that the cavernous space of the Yukon XL causes stress at the fuel pump, although this is far from the truth. The 5.3-liter V8 engine is in fact among the most efficient available in today’s market. If required, you can even disable cylinders when you don’t need them.
4) Infotainment System
According to auto critics, the infotainment system on the 2016 model of Yukon XL is simple and straightforward to use, although some note it responds a bit slowly to the driver’s touch inputs.
- The large size of the touch screen makes finding menus and buttons easy.
- The buttons that control audio and climate settings have been logically arranged.
- The Yukon now comes with 4G LTE interconnectivity.
5) Cabin Interior Features
Critics concur that the cabin of the 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD is built with plenty of high-end materials and soft-touch surfaces made of wood plus metal trim. Controls are easily reachable from the driver's seat because of great designing.
6) Seating Arrangements
Reviewers agree that the 2016 Yukon’s front seats are quite comfortable and supportive, while the 2nd row is roomy, giving the space a limo-like feel. The large rear doors make entry into the 3rd row easy, although the seats are rather low.
7) Hauling Capacity
Auto experts recommend that if what you want is no-compromises towing and hauling ability, the 2016 GMC Yukon XL is the perfect ticket.
- The Yukon 4WD 5.3-liter V8 engine is a true workhorse
- The Denali V8 models are even more powerful.
8) Storage and Cargo Handling
Auto reviewers have reported that for its class, the 2016 Yukon XL presents one of the largest capacities regarding overall cargo capacities. It also comes with a hands-free lift gate.
- Behind the 3rd row, it offers 39.3 cubic feet
- Behind the 2nd row, it has 76.7 cubic feet
- You get 121.1 cubic feet capacity behind the 1strow.
A new feature is power folding for the 2nd and 3rd-row seats because the third row can no longer be removed; instead, it folds flat on your cargo floor. Another additional feature is a cargo-management system that is tucked away under the floor which can also be removed to create extra cargo space.
9) Safety Ratings
The sheer size and weight of this 4WD Yukon brings obvious body mass advantages in any auto crash. The 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD is also offering several other active safety measures such as:
- A system for forward collision mitigation
- Side blind zone monitoring
- Standard rear-view camera
- Crash response system
10) Warranty and Recalls
The 2016 GMC Yukon come nicely backed by a comprehensive warranty for 3-year/36,000-mile, in addition to a powertrain warranty for 5-year/60,000-mile. So far, the XL has not suffered any NHTSA safety recalls.
To avoid overpaying on a new car, shop prices online first. Get up front pricing before you walk into a dealership. We recommend the following free services;
These free services will offer you the lowest prices and supply you with multiple competing price quotes. You will know the best price before you visit the dealer.
Reasons Not to Buy a 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD – The Cons
1) Automatic Transmission Delay
A major snag in an otherwise nice setup is that occasionally, the 6-speed automatic transmission exhibits some level of delay before it downshifts when you stab the throttle while underway.
2) Lack Telescopic Steering
2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD critics note some drivers might find themselves unable to get a good driving position as the base model lacks a telescoping steering wheel.
3) Limited 3rd Row Space
The Yukon XL 4WD third-row seat may be okay for small children, but the low mounting to the vehicle floor may mean that taller people and lanky teenagers will most probably find their knees being pushed up towards the roof uncomfortably.
4) Slow Responding IntelliLink
Although the infotainment display is easy and intuitive to operate/navigate, unfortunately, the IntelliLink at times can be rather slow in responding to driver touch inputs.
5) Small Gas Tank
The gas tank of the 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali is according to drivers, too small as it holds just 31 gallons. Being a heavy duty XL, this may prove a drawback as you need to make frequent stops when on a long drive.
How It Stacks Up To The Competition:
It is fair to compare the 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD against the Chevrolet Tahoe and Buick Enclave 2016 models being of the same class and category.
- The critic rating for the 2016 Yukon XL, at 8.9 is higher than the 8.8 for the Chevrolet Tahoe and 8.6 for the Enclave.
- Regarding the interior rating, the Yukon XL ties with the Buick at 8.4 higher than the Tahoe’s 8.0
- The safety rating of the Yukon has been rated at par with the Chevrolet Tahoe at 8.7, below the 9.7 for the Buick Enclave.
- The 2016 GMC Yukon beats the two models regarding overall rating as it stands at 8.6 compared to the 8.4 for both the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Tahoe.
The 2016 GMC Yukon XL is available from about $48,000 with the 4WD options pushing the price to the $60Ks. Yukon XL 4WD of course comes better-equipped with lots of accessories and SLT trim. It is probably the most affordable 9-passenger 4WD vehicle available in the market today. Its extensive configurations make it highly competitive.
Auto reviewers feel that pound for pound, the 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD is a tremendous value bargain. If you are in the market for safety, space, capability and value, you should seriously consider the 2016 GMC Yukon XL 4WD.