2014 Subaru LegacyBuying Guide • Review • Research
The Top 10 Reasons Why You May want to Buy a 2014 Subaru Legacy:
What's New For 2014
All trim levels of last year's model are once again available to U.S. consumers. However, the uplevel Limited trim now comes with a 3.6L, 6-cylinder engine that produces a total of 256 horsepower. There is a slight change to the dashboard and instrumentation design, but for the most part the interior remains unchanged. The model is still available in a total of eight exterior colors including the popular Indigo Pearl, Venetian Red Pearl, and Crystal Black Silica.
Ten Reasons To Buy A 2014 Subaru Legacy - the Pros1) Affordable pricing is one of the top reasons to choose this model. The base trim is listed for under $21,000, and the 3.6R Limited version has a sticker price of around $28,000. Considering that the Legacy is practically a full-sized sedan, this is a pretty good deal, period. The mid-level trims come standard with most of the popular convenience features and amenities, with optional equipment available for a nominal price increase.
2) The renowned 4-cylinder Boxer engine is standard on al trims except the Limited. This is one of the most reliable, long-lasting engines available, with low expected maintenance costs. Besides, the warranty on the powertrain is exceptional. The 4-cylinder engine produces a total of 174 horsepower, plenty to get a fully loaded vehicle up to speed on the highway. The engine is DOHC, 16-valve with Dual Active Valve Control on all trims except the 3.6R Limited.
3) Standard All-Wheel Drive is not offered on all trims of most competing models. Legacy owners will appreciate the total control the driver has over the vehicle, especially when taking turns at high speeds. The steering is very responsive, and drivers will find that the vehicle is very easy to control in all gears. The Vehicle Dynamics Control and Traction Control System gives drivers peace of mind knowing the car can be kept under control if quick braking is necessary.
4) The 2014 Subaru Legacy has a very spacious interior, designed with maximum outward vision capability. The windows are shaped to allow drivers excellent side and rear viewing, with very small blind spots. Passengers enjoy total comfort in what many refer to as a full-size vehicle built on a mid-size chassis. There is plenty of cargo room in the trunk, and the fold-down armrests and reclining seats do not inhibit passenger activity in the slightest.
5) Fully adjustable seats are standard on all Legacy trims. The base 2.5i trim comes with manually adjusted seats, and the uplevel trims are offered with 10-way power driver's seat and front passenger seat. The uplevel trims also feature heated front seats. The rear seats are 65/35 split-folding and are very easy to adjust. All versions except the base 2.5i come with optional leather trim on the front and rear upholstery, and the woodgrain-patterned accent is standard on the 3.6R Limited.
6) Advanced instrumentation and driver information console is what sets the Legacy apart from many competing models. The base trim comes with a digital trip computer, and the uplevel versions feature an outstanding driver information console with LED touchscreen. This multi-function display is one of the finest available and is easy to navigate. The voice-activated console controls the GPS as well as the entertainment system.
7) All 2014 Subaru Legacy trims come with a full complement of active and passive safety systems. These include a tire pressure monitoring system, daytime running lights, and traction control system. The rearview backup camera is available on the Limited trims. The collapsible steering column and brake override is standard on all trims. All 2014 Subaru Legacy versions have the LATCH system of anchors and tethers for additional child safety. The keyless entry system includes a trunk release and electronic answer-back control.
8) Shoppers will be delighted to learn of the optional packages available on the 2014 Subaru Legacy. Very few sedans in this price range or segment offer so many convenience amenities. Packages include alloy wheels, enhanced navigation system, and EyeSight Driver assistance. The latter contains adaptive cruise control, automatic pre-collision braking, and a lane departure warning.
9) The exterior features on all trims of the Subaru Legacy include folding mirrors, projector beam headlights, and aerodynamic side ground effects. Buyers can also choose the optional dual chrome exhaust tips and all-weather package that comes with heated side mirrors and windshield de-icer. It is a small number of competing models that offer this kind of packaging option.
10) The Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission system is optional on the 2014 Subaru Legacy. Most sedans in the $20-25K price range do not offer this outstanding transmission option.
Reasons You May Not Want To Buy A 2014 Subaru Legacy - the Cons1) The Legacy does not offer the smoothest ride in its vehicle class or segment. Although the control is outstanding, the low chassis and strut suspension offer great handling at the expense of tire impact cushioning. The ride is choppy over uneven pavement, and drivers and passengers will notice every small object - including pebbles - that come between the tires and the pavement.
2) The 2014 Subaru Legacy is a well-built machine and the vehicle of choice for those who make driver control a priority. However, the crash test ratings are something that needs to be addressed. The scores for side and front collisions need improving.
3) Many competing models now have fuel efficiency in the 35-36 mpg range. The Legacy trails behind, offering at best around 32 mpg highway fuel efficiency.
For the price paid, car buyers will be pleased at the number of standard features. The vehicle performs nicely and is terrific when it comes to maintaining control in adverse weather conditions. It is recommended that some comparison shopping be done prior to making a final decision on whether to buy this model, however. Some of the similar sedans on the market have better safety scores and better fuel economy.