Why Buy a 2016 Toyota Tacoma?Buying Guide • Advice • Prices
The new 2016 Toyota Tacoma is available in a choice of 4 or 6-cylinder power, either rear-drive or AWD. You will also have a choice between box and cab configurations. Being the decade’s best-selling mid-size truck, the Toyota Tacoma is getting huge updates for the new 2016 model year.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 2016 Toyota Tacoma – The Pros
1) New Look and Feel
The Tacoma comes all-new for 2016. The truck has received a restyling inside and out. Now it really looks great with the aggressive sheet metal. The design team seems to have taken inspiration from desert racing giving the new 2016 Tacoma.
It now has:
- A taller hood with purposefully designed creases
- Boldly flared wheel arches
- A new tailgate incorporating an integrated spoiler that gives enhanced aerodynamics
2) Performance and Powertrains
Most automotive reviewers believe that the 2016 Toyota Tacoma is delivering acceptable levels of performance.
- The 2016 Tacoma has brought in a new 3.5-liter V6 engine, more efficient and powerful.
- Introduced 6-speed automatic transmission
- Boosted the usage of high-strength steel across the whole body frame
- The suspension has been re-tuned to provide more off-road capability and a better on-pavement ride.
The new Tacoma has the capability of hauling close to 1,620 pounds and towing close to 6,800 pounds.
3) Acceleration and Power
The majority of test drivers agree that they have only tested the V6-powered Tacoma Toyotas.
- Generally, they have sufficient power.
- The V6 is smooth and sounds much better.
- V6 3.5-liter feels stout with plenty of punch.
4) Handling and Braking
Body roll of the Tacoma is restrained and gradual. There's a general engine coordination making the trip enjoyable. Perhaps the best feature is the steering, offering you a solid sense of direction, as you bend in and out of sharp corners.
- The new 2016 Tacoma is easier and quieter on any grade than all previous versions.
- Changes made to the 2016 Toyota Tacoma’s suspension plus the tweaks made to the truck body frame make it feel more stable and planted on-road.
- The brakes have a linear and confident feel.
Test drivers concur that the TRD Off-Road Tacoma has proven extremely capable beyond the paved road.
A variety of off-roading aids are available:
- Crawl control
- Multi-Terrain Select system
These aids contribute to the Tacoma’s off-road prowess and works with the vehicle’s 2-speed transfer case towards making your forays into the rough backcountry more fun.
6) Tacoma Interior
Most auto journalists concur that the cabin of the 2016 Toyota Tacoma is assembled using high-quality materials.
- Very soft to the touch with a rugged design appropriate for a pickup truck
- Everything is assembled impressively well and executed in quality materials.
- The durable-feeling materials and blocky appearance seem very suitable for a pickup's work.
7) Tech Levels
Test drivers and reviewers like the straightforward Tahoma controls on the center stack. Features include:
- Touchscreen controls
- Standard hands-free Bluetooth audio streaming and integration.
- Siri® Eyes Free
- Voice recognition
8) Cargo Capacity
Test drivers indicate that the bed of the Tacoma is deeper than before, meaning you can haul more cargo.
- Integrated into the truck’s bed deck-rail system are four tie-downs is for additional utility.
- Now the tailgate is damped.
- The tailgate now has an external AC power adapter.
9) Safety Ratings and Features
The IIHS rated the 2015 Tacoma “Good” for most of the safety tests. Among its peers, reviewers have rated the midsize dimensions and precise handling of the Tahoma as easy to control, especially in case of emergencies. The Toyota Tacoma also comes with the Toyota Star Safety System.
10) Recalls and Reliability
Being a new truck model, crash-test ratings and safety scores aren’t available yet.
- Auto maker Toyota has covered the 2016 Toyota Tacoma with a 3-year basic 36,000-mile warranty basic
- The package also includes a 5-year powertrain 60,000-mile warranty.
To avoid overpaying on a new car, shop prices online first. Get up front pricing before you walk into a dealership. We recommend the following free services;
These free services will offer you the lowest prices and supply you with multiple competing price quotes. You will know the best price before you visit the dealer.
Reasons Not to Buy a 2016 Toyota Tacoma – The Cons
1) Engine Power
The 4-cylinder 2.7-liter engine has somehow managed to get itself into the new truck. That means you are getting 180 lb-ft of torque and a meager 159 horsepower.
- 4-cylinder engines no longer inspire much respect in this truck class.
- Making matters worse is that the only available manual transmission with the four-cylinder engine is a 5-speed.
2) 2016 Toyota Tacoma Handling
On the average road, the Toyota Tacoma rides just like what it is; a typical truck. Because of the solid axle rear end and separate frame, the Tacoma generally tends to bounce over the road surfaces, even when they look fairly smooth.
3) Cramped Seating
If the 2016 Toyota Tacoma has a major interior drawback, then that it's the cramped cabin.
- Auto reviewers have written that the rear seats are best used in carrying cargo.
- The telescoping steering wheel doesn’t seem to extend sufficiently far.
- The steering wheel is not providing enough adjustment, hence making it difficult for you to get a driving position that is comfortable.
How It Stacks Up To The Competition:
Auto reviews have compared the 2016 Toyota Tacoma with the 2016 models of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.
- Regarding passenger capacity, this truck beats the other two hands down as it carries five people while they can only hold two passengers.
- The Toyota has External Running Boards, Privacy Glass and Sliding Rear Window features lacking in the other two vehicles.
- Other features found on the Tacoma but absent in the other two include Navigation System, Satellite Radio, Hard Disk Drive and Wireless Cell Phone Hookup.
- At 21.1 Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx. (gal), the Toyota beats the two which tie at 21
- Overall rating for the Tacoma at 8.7 ties with the Canyon and compares favorably with the Chevy at 8.8
- The Toyota Tacoma also has an automatic transmission as well as 6-Speed Automatic, which lack in the two trucks.
The Tacoma has for years been the prime choice for outdoor enthusiasts, off-roaders, and professionals in need of a quality truck without the bulkiness that comes with full trucks. The capability, predictability, and reliability of the Tacoma have created one of the most formidable pickup reputations out there today.
The Tacoma from Toyota has had an enjoyable and long reign as the undisputed king among midsize pickups. However, with increasing levels of competition, the Toyota has redesigned the Tacoma for 2016. If you loved the long-running generation of previous Tacomas, you're certainly going to love new 2016 Toyota Tacoma too.
• 2016 Toyota Avalon Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Camry Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Corolla Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Highlander Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Buying Guide
• 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser Buying Guide