2018 Volkswagen Passat Prices: MSRP vs Dealer Invoice vs True Dealer Cost
MSRP Invoice Price Destination Fee Holdback Dealer Cost
To avoid overpaying on a new Volkswagen Passat, shop prices online first. Get up front pricing before you walk into a dealership. We recommend the following free services;
What’s New for the 2018 Model Year?
To bolster fuel economy, VW has introduced a new base engine. If you are looking for a sportier driving experience, be sure to take a look at the new GT trim. You can also now get blind-spot detection and rear cross-traffic alert on the base model.
What Styles Does It Come In?
The 2018 Volkswagen Passat competes in today’s midsize sedan segment. Families are especially attracted to its spacious cabin. You and four others will be able to travel without feeling uncomfortable. Unlike rivals such as the Subaru Legacy, the front-wheel-drive Passat does not offer an AWD setup.
What Are the Available Trims?
- From a standpoint of value, the base 2018 Volkswagen Passat S proves to be very competitive. Some of the standard components include a reversing camera, Bluetooth connectivity, and a small touch screen. Boasting blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert, the optional Driver Assistance package is well worth the money. A new turbocharged four-cylinder engine sits under the hood.
- Flaunting a striking set of 19-inch alloy wheels, the 2018 Volkswagen Passat R-Line model will attract more attention from onlookers. Heated front seats and a smartphone-friendly infotainment system also come standard. LED headlamps and taillights are optional.
- Although the Passat SE doesn’t look as sporty as the R-Line model, it does benefit from a sunroof and keyless ignition. The available Technology package rewards you with several more goodies, including heated rear seats and navigation.
- A lot of driving enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting the Passat GT’s arrival. It is arguably the most exciting version of the Passat to hit the streets. It comes equipped with sports-tuned shocks and a more potent V6 engine. On the inside, sport seats enhance the sedan’s driver-focused theme.
- Drivers seeking the utmost luxury will likely prefer the SEL Premium trim. A thumping Fender sound system makes traveling more exciting. Meanwhile, the Passat SEL Premium’s automated parallel-parking system benefits urban dwellers. Lane departure warning is also found on the SEL Premium trim.
How Does It Drive?
Although the Passat’s new four-cylinder engine is geared towards fuel economy, it still feels quite responsive in real-world driving conditions. Some car reviewers consider the Passat to have the smoothest ride in the class. If you don’t mind spending a bit more money at the fuel pump, the GT will prove to be a more exciting option. Its enhanced handling and 280-horsepower engine should leave you inspired. Although the front seats are great, some people may not like the backseat’s upright position.
How Does It Do On Gas?
Drivers can take full advantage of the sedan’s boost in fuel economy. The 2018 Volkswagen Passat is rated to deliver an EPA-estimated 25 mpg in town and 36 mpg on the open highway. Although the performance-oriented GT trim has yet to be rated, you can expect it to consume more fuel.
Formula for Calculating Dealer Cost:
- Example: Base Volkswagen Passat invoice price + the dealer Invoice price of options + destination - Holdback = Total Dealer Cost.
- What is Holdback? A hidden amount that manufacturers give back to a dealer. It is a percentage of the MSRP or the Invoice price.
Total Dealer Cost - Rebate and Incentive + Taxes / Licensing Fees = True Dealer Cost. (You can get rebates and incentives here.)
Note: All Volkswagen Passat MSRP, invoice and dealer cost dollar figures above are approximate amounts. Prices are subject to change without notice.
A note about rebates: Most rebates are subtracted from the "on the road" figure. In most cases, you can have the rebate if you are arranging your own financing or you are paying cash. If you decide to use the manufacturer’s low interest financing, you do not usually get the rebate. Ask your dealer for details.