2014 Dodge JourneyBuying Guide • Review • Research
The Top 10 Reasons Why You May want to Buy a 2014 Dodge Journey:
When shopping for a car, it is often difficult narrow down your search. If you have decided that you are in the market for a crossover or SUV, you may want to give some thought to the new 2014 Dodge Journey. While there is active competition to the Dodge Journey, there are several reasons to give it a test drive. As Dodge works to improve its overall status, the company is focusing more and more on enhancing current vehicle lines.
Dodge has made several improvements to the 2014 model of the Journey. From the 2013 model, Dodge added Parking Assistance and satellite radio options. With a slight increase in price, Dodge has continued to carry over its advancements in technology into the 2014 Journey. Perhaps the most impressive feature is the TouchScreen UConnect Media Center. The 8.4-inch built-in screen allows the driver to control a multitude of devices without distracting from the primary goal of getting to the desired destination. The 2014 model continues to cling to the manufacturer’s prior year claim that the Dodge Journey is one of the most affordable 7 seat crossover vehicles sold in the United States.
If you are in the market for a crossover SUV, consider some reasons to look at the 2014 Dodge Journey.
1) With a multitude of options, you can choose to customize the Dodge Journey based on your budget. Starting MSRP is just under $20,000. If you are looking to increase luxury, you can opt to add over $10,000 worth of features. At a base price of $19,995, the 2014 Dodge Journey is one of the least expensive cars in its class.
2) The 2014 Dodge Journey ranks high in safety. With 5 airbags to protect the driver and passengers in the case of a crash, the Journey has some of the best safety ratings in its class. Electronic Stability Control helps steer the vehicle to where the driver intends it to go if the car detects a loss of traction on the road. Auto-leveling headlights make driving at night simpler and safer. Child safety locks protect your kids while they ride in the backseat, preventing them from opening the doors at an inopportune time.
3) The interior is created to help the driver and passengers to feel at home in the car. For added luxury, upgrade to leather seats. The soft look of the inside of the Journey far exceeds most of its competitors.
4) For the convenience of a busy family, Dodge packed the inside of the 2014 Journey with tons of cubbies and storage places. The padded armrest opens for more center console storage. There is a plethora of nooks and crannies that can be used for storage without being difficult to access. If you need to retrieve an item you have put away, you will not have to rummage through large compartments and turn the car upside down. The storage space allows you to remain well organized as you pile stuff into the vehicle.
5) While the standard model of the 2014 Journey comes with a 2.4L engine and 173 horsepower, consider upgrading to the V6 model. This will increase overall performance and durability if you drive on unleveled ground. The increase in power will not hinder the fuel efficiency. The V6 model is also noticeably less noisy.
6) The seat versatility of the Journey is one of its best selling features. It is one of the few crossover SUVs that have optional third row seating. The seats also flip if you need more cargo space.
7) The entertainment system is not limited to the driver. You can opt to purchase the rear seat DVD entertainment system for longer car rides.
8) Enhanced technology allows you to quickly view any pertinent driving information on the vehicle’s Electronic Vehicle Information Center.
9) The dual glove box includes the Dodge Chill Zone. Unlike most cars, the Dodge Journey will keep your sodas cool and crisp during your trips.
Like most other cars, however, the 2014 Dodge Journey also has its downfalls.
1) Compared to the Jeep Cherokee or Mitsubishi Outlander, the Journey has lower fuel efficiency coming in with only 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
2) While the Journey’s price tag may look extremely appealing, by the time you finish shopping for upgrades, you may very well be looking at a much larger number.
3) Though seating is available for up to 7, the third row seat is smaller and is more suited to accommodate children rather than adults.
4) Bucket seats may reduce passenger level of comfort on longer car rides.
5) The V4 model tends to be noisy. The 2.4L engine does not have much to offer in terms of exceptional performance.
6) Despite the technology upgrades, there is no in-vehicle assistance such as Onstar in the Journey. If this is a safety concern for you, consider the Chevrolet Equinox or Buick Encore.
7) The steering wheel is made of urethane, which can deteriorate over extended periods of sun exposure. If you leave your car outside, expect to see the steering wheel degrade over the next few years.
• 2014 Dodge Avenger
• 2014 Dodge Charger
• 2014 Dodge Dart
• 2014 Dodge Durango
• 2014 Grand Caravan
8) If you read consumer reports and rely on rating companies, be aware that JDPowers only ranks the Journey with 2 stars for expected reliability.
9) The extravagant dashboard limits knee room for taller individuals.
10) While Dodge has upped its gadgets in the past several years, the in-dash GPS is far from intuitive.
Every car has its ups and downs. While the 2014 Dodge Journey may not be ideal for powerful luxury or fuel efficiency, its affordability allows it to stand out from other cars in its class. If you are looking for an SUV, consider a crossover for easier maneuverability. If you are on a budget, you may want to take the 2014 Dodge Journey for a test drive.
• How to Buy New Cars Below Dealer Invoice Prices
• Dodge Journey Prices - MSRP, Dealer Invoice & True Dealer Cost